Spider

Today I had 45 minutes to model and UV a spider for a mobile VR project. I present to you Señor Noodle Legs.

spider3spider2spider1

His noodle legs will be gone after rigging but this looked to the be most efficient pre-rig pose.

VR Environments

Here’s some examples of environments that I modeled in Maya, textured in Substance, and lit for real-time use in Unity. The environments are used as Virtual Reality Exposure treatments for people suffering with things like addictions, phobias, and PTSD.

Modeling an ICU

I’m in the process of modeling an ICU for a virtual reality training program for doctors and nurses. Here’s some shots that show off the topology of each model. Everything needs to strike a delicate balance between looking realistic and being very efficient so the user can do what they need to in VR without experiencing any lag or dropped frames. the textures and colors you see are just references, because after the modeling is done I will create the actual textures in Substance.

 

Fear of Flying



Airport2_colAirport2_lineAirport1_colAirport1_lineAirport4_colAirport4_line


Airport3_colAirport3_lineAirport5_colAirport5_lineAirport6_colAirport6_line
These images are from a project I just wrapped up here at work. We were updating our VR system for Fear of Flying to be used on mobile devices. We wanted to update the looks while making it even lower poly so it would be able to run on even an iPhone 4s. I think the results turned out quite nice considering the strict limitations we had on the project. What’s really cool is once you’re in the plan a therapist can control the weather and environment to custom tailor each experience per client.




Some shots from a current work project.

This is from a project I’m currently working on. I’m really proud of the way this project is turning out. Everything went from concept art to what you see here in just a two week span. There were three of us working on the art side for this thing. I did the original concept work and the environment modeling. Justin did the character models. Then Diana, Justin, and myself tackled all of the UV mapping, lighting, and texturing and BOOM we have a pretty neat start here.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

More Models

I’ve finished some more of the modeling this week. I think the art studio scene prop models are just about finished. I’m hoping to move on to the character models soon. I’m really pleased with the fact that I’ve been able to keep a lot of the lines from the original drawings in the conversion to 3D models.

Storyboards can be found here.

Blue Film WiP modeling start

I’ve started the modeling phase of my film. I’ve decided to start my prop modeling with the things that will be in the art studio, because that’s a model heavy set piece and I want to get the pieces out of the way earlier. More specifically I wanted to model the art supplies since they will be used in most of the scenes. Then next I’ll move on to the other pieces in that set. I also wanted to tackle some of the larger set pieces too.

I’ve blocked out the house and garage set pieces, as well as started modeling some of the accessories for the film. The house and garage are probably about 80% complete. All the major pieces are there. It just needs all the detail work that really adds character and completes the look and feel of the objects.

I’ve decided to start my prop modeling with the things that will be in the art studio, because that’s a model heavy set piece and I want to get the pieces out of the way earlier. More specifically I wanted to model the art supplies since they will be used in most of the scenes. Then next I’ll move on to the other pieces in that set.

I think when people start out making a film or a 3D scene on their own they forget about all the little pieces you need to add to sets to add a sense of realism. It truly is the little things that can make or break what you’re doing. Things should feel lived in, used, and sometimes even trashy. Not having these little details like crumpled paper and such on the floor of the studio make them look unused and like set pieces. This can have the effect of removing the audience from the story you’re trying to tell because they don’t believe in the world they’re viewing. So, always remember to focus on the little things, because every detail is important.

The previous post about the film’s progress can be found here.